Women in Cognitive Science Leadership Award 2018 - Call for Nominations
2018 Annual Meeting of the Psychonomic Society New Orleans, Louisiana, USA November 15-18, 2018
WiCS has instituted a Leadership Award to recognize initiatives that individuals have taken, beyond their own students and labs, to benefit women in cognitive science more broadly. Two leadership awards (at $1000 each) will be given annually; the first two will be awarded at the WiCS workshop at the 2018 meeting of the Psychonomic Society.
Sample activities that might constitute the kinds of leadership we envision are listed below, but these are by no means exhaustive. We will be delighted to expand this list as examples of creative and effective leadership emerge.
• Taken steps to enhance success of women scientists (e.g., writing papers & books; giving talks on this topic; publicizing inequalities and/or solutions; holding workshops)
• Initiated programs that benefit women in cognitive science
• Sought funding for programs to support women in cognitive science
• Carried out significant professional service that benefitted women in cognitive science
Nominations are gender- and rank-open; scientists of all genders and at all levels can contribute to the success of women in cognitive science
A nomination packet, with the components listed below should be sent to [email protected]:
• A nomination letter and two supporting letters that discuss the leadership initiative(s) on which the nomination is based, and the ways in which they advance the success of women in cognitive science. At least one letter must be written by someone outside the nominee’s own institution. Each letter must be no longer than two pages long (single spaced).
• The nominee’s CV
• For the nominee, a list of collaborators in the last 4 years, grouped according to type of collaboration: (a) research collaboration, (b) collaboration on efforts to benefit women in cognitive science.
• Applicants must not be collaborators or trainees of current members of the WiCS Advisory Board (or have been a trainee within the last four years).
• Only U.S. citizens are eligible due to source of funding
Nominations must be received by August 1, 2018 (midnight anywhere on earth)
Awards will be announced on or around September 15, 2018
Decisions will be made by the WiCS Leadership Awards Committee (Mary Peterson, Chair, University of Arizona, Judith Kroll, University of California, Riverside, and Suparna Rajaram, Stony Brook University).
Funding for this program comes from the Perception, Action, and Cognition Program at the National Science Foundation.